A properly selected respirator is essential to protect your health. It will not protect against fumes, gases or vapors. It must be worn in well ventilated areas containing sufficient oxygen to support life. If the user has any illnesses or disorders, consult a licensed medical doctor to determine suitability of use.
There are many brands and options to choose from—disposable or reusable. The Disposable are available with or without an exhalation valve. The exhalation valve allows easier breathing for long-term wear.
Before using any N95 respirator, consult an Occupational Safety Professional or Industrial Hygienist to determine its suitability for your intended use. Always, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for fitting the respirator to the face.
Here are some N95 Mask Fitting Instructions:
- Hold the respirator in hand with the nosepiece at your fingertips, allowing the headband to hang freely below your hand.
- Press the respirator firmly against your face with the nosepiece on the bridge of your nose.
- Stretch and position the top band high on the back of your head. Stretch the bottom band over the head and position below your ears.
- Using both hands, mold the metal nosepiece to the shape of your nose.
- To test fit, cup both hands over the respirator and exhale vigorously. If air flows around your nose, tighten the nosepiece; if air leaks around the edges, reposition the straps for a better fit.
- Remember, careful observance of these fitting instructions is an important step in safe respirator use.
For further info, check out the following links:
- OSHA 29 CFR 1910.132 is the regulation regarding Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- NIOSH Respirator Recommendations
Submitted by: Donna Kolody/Emedco – Custom, Safety & Marking Solutions- Your Way, Today, Guaranteed!